By Simon Rich
In Ant Farm, former Harvard Lampoon president Simon wealthy unearths humor in a few very dazzling areas. Armed with a pointy eye for the absurd and an overpowering feel of doom, wealthy explores the ridiculousness of our daily lives. the area, he concludes, is a hopelessly terrifying place–with never-ending comedian potential.
–If your female friend delivers a few “love coupons” after which breaks up with you, are the coupons nonetheless valid?
–What form of functionality strain does an endangered male panda consider while his captors convey the final last woman panda to his cage?
–If murderers can get into heaven by means of accepting Jesus, simply how awkward is it once they run into their victims?
Join Simon wealthy as he explores the intense and hilarious desperation that is living in usual lifestyles, from cradle to grave.
"Hilarious." –Jon Stewart
Read Online or Download Ant Farm: And Other Desperate Situations PDF
Best essays books
In an age that's supposedly experiencing a sexual revolution, a quantity of considerate essays on eros isn't just now not misplaced yet might be is a good contribution to the knowledge of contempor ary guy. It was once the conviction of the editors that the medical view of sexuality, as promoted in such useful stories as these performed through Masters and Johnson, wanted enormous complement and according to spective.
This quantity includes sOOeen essays written by means of his scholars and co-workers in honor of Maurice Natanson. The essays discover the various different issues Professor Natanson has pursued via 40 years of educating and philosophizing within the culture of existential phenomenology. since it additionally contains a long biographical and philosophical interview the place you will find an soaking up account of Natanson's Lebens/au/in his personal phrases, there isn't any have to aspect that polypragmatic occupation the following.
- Short: An International Anthology of Five Centuries of Short-Short Stories, Prose Poems, Brief Essays, and Other Short Prose Forms
- Orphans of the One or the Deception of the Immanence: Essays on the Roots of Secularization
- Paradise Screwed: Selected Columns of Carl Hiaasen
- The Artificial White Man: Essays on Authenticity
Additional info for Ant Farm: And Other Desperate Situations
12. The Reith Diaries, ed. Charles Stuart (Collins, London, 1975). 13. J. Reith, Broadcast over Britain (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1924). 14. A. Briggs, Governing the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation, London, 1979)· 15. John Wain, The Listener, July 1965. 3 Jeremy Isaacs 'In the end someone has to have the responsibility for deciding ... what can be broadcast in particular circumstances at any given time. In our view, the ultimate responsibility should rest with the Authorities ... ' Annan Committee, Report on the Future of Broadcasting To claim authority, one must exercise it.
The programme was shown, and made little impact. The court decision had a lasting effect. The then Chairman, Lord Aylestone, acknowledged his responsibilities in a telling homely phrase: 'It is right that he who has to carry the can should feel the whole weight of it' . The Annan Committee on the Future of Broadcasting came firmly to the conclusion that it was right that the Authority - in lTV the IBA, in the BBC the Board of Governors-should carry the can. By their verdict they reinforced that rule and practice.
There may well be a healthy difference between the attitude of 'public broadcasting authority' and the government, but unless 'public broadcasting authority' recognises its own responsibilities, there will always be pressure, potentially dangerous pressure, for government itself to intervene. The second facet -concentrating on topicalities (including tomorrow's events) to such an extent that perspective is lost-is a consequence of the 'news revolution' which has influenced the patterns of post-Reithian daily broadcasting (and has itself been influenced by new technologies) far more than any other force.